Monday, January 20, 2014

Amazingly Awesome Alliterations! (Rhetorical Device Post)

        If I could pick my favorite rhetorical device, it would be alliterations. The idea of recurring consonant sounds have always intrigued me. I think that the reason I love them so much is because they are just so much fun! As someone who loves acting, I have always appreciated the wording of things, especially in scripts for plays or musicals. For example, in "The Wizard of Oz", I always smile when I hear "The Wicked Witch of the West". I love alliterations because they make everything so much fun to say. They open a whole world of tongue-twisters and nursery rhymes that have that special ring to them. One of my favorites is a tongue-twister I heard in choir class in middle school: "Two toads, totally tired, trying to trot to Tilbury". Now, imagine singing that while trying to get the words exactly right. It was one of the songs we used in our warm-ups and it was a vocal exercise that helped with diction - the ability to enunciate all of the words in an effective way. Alliteration is an extremely useful rhetorical device, and I feel as though we use it all the time but never really notice. Alliterations allow sentences and phrases to flow with a distinct rhythm. They make the words pop out more in a way that sticks to your mind. This is another reason that I love alliterations. They are so easy to memorize in literature because they stand out so much. Phrases with similar consonant sounding and emphasized wording tend to be much easier to remember than common, everyday speech.


        This picture is a very hard-core example of alliteration. Almost every word starts with "P" and the vowel sounds "ee", "eh", and "ah" are combined and mixed up into a variety of phrases that all have to do with one general idea. This tongue twister is tricky to say very fast. There are all sorts of alliterations. Some are extremely rhythmic and obvious, like the one above, while others are more suttle and still have similar consonant sounds, but are much harder to identify.
        Alliterations add a very bright touch to the English language and without them, literature would be much more dull. Their rhythmic sounds and strategic wording add a spark of creativity to common speech. I may have chosen to write about them because I love to speak them in plays and sing them in choir, but I am pretty sure that I am not alone when I say that alliterations are pretty awesome. They make writing and speaking incredibly enjoyable and therefore, I can say with confidence that they are my favorite rhetorical device.

                                To sum things up, all alliterations are amazing and awesome!

2 comments: