Thursday, May 1, 2014

Exam Preparation (TA Post)

        Exams are quite a climax for the year. All of our studying and homework struggles lead up to one ending point that determines everything for the year. I have to say, I have never been good at studying for hours on end. I am someone who gets distracted the moment I take my eyes off of the paper. The most studying I have ever done in an exam was in 9th grade in World History. I was so nervous for the exam (I'll admit, history is NOT my best subject) that I read the entire contents of my history folder. It literally took me more than three hours. The good news is, I got almost a perfect score on the exam! Other than that, however, I haven't really downright studied for hours on end. In reality, I adjust my study habits to the situation. In English before AP Lang, it was hard to study because it was mainly based off of books, so I would just study some vocabulary. In choir, my exam involves singing a solo, so I just practice my solo a few times and work on memorization. Simple as that! There are a few classes that I study more for, but usually I will only study the things that I am really struggling with in order to use my studying time wisely.
       Other than studying, I try to take it easy the week of exams. This is sometimes challenging, due to extracurricular activities like Dutch Dance and memorizing songs for certain choirs, but I somehow manage to keep a level head. This may be because I sing a LOT and music really relaxes me. It's all about finding that one thing that truly eases your mind into a peaceful state. Therefore, what prepares me best for hard tests is calming my nerves through soothing music that I sing or play on piano in the comfort of my home. After that, I'm all ready for exams.
        As you can see, it's hard for me to pinpoint an exact way to prepare for exams. It really varies for different people. Some people study for days, others just take things easy for a while. There is no right or wrong way. It's all a matter of what works for you, and how you will accomplish that unique form of exam preparation. (:

2 comments:

  1. Quite intriguing, that World History exam that you studied the most for, I studied the most for as well. (But it was definitely worth it, we got the same grade on it.) I see that music tends to relax you the week of exams, do you have any more tips? I'm starting to really worry about these exams, and I've tried all of my usual tactics, but none of them are really working right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. I would first say to try listening to calming and relaxing music whenever you have time. But knowing you, I think I would try doing something with art. Paint or draw something in a way that is relaxing. Knowing you, I think that might help a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete