Monday, July 7, 2014

"If It's Square, It's a Sonnet" - Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep - AP Lit Post #2

In all honesty, I've never been a big fan of sonnets. Many of them seem to be written in roundabout ways and my brain just can't handle decoding them. So, obviously, this was a pretty difficult assignment for me. However, I did find one sonnet that caught my attention. It's called "Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep". So, here it is!

Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep
by Mary Elizabeth Frye


Do not stand at my grave and weep:
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starshine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry:


I am not there; I did not die.

        What pulled me into this sonnet was the beautiful flow of phrase upon phrase, as well as the overall message of the poem. Personally, I haven't experienced many deaths in my life. I did lose my grandparents a while back, but two of them had already passed away before I was even born, and the other two both suffered from altzheimers disease and dementia so I never really got to know them. So I never really cried at their funerals or graves. It would be a lot different though if I had gotten to know them better. Take my pets. I've had time to get to know them my entire life, and I have experienced those deaths - of which I wept, a lot. In fact, I cry my eyes out whenever I lose a pet that is close to me. Therefore, I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose a human being who was that close to me - like a family member or a friend. I'm guessing that my reaction would include bawling my eyes out. It's something that I don't even want to think about. Therefore, when I read this sonnet, I was moved. The words in this poem cry out in vain, begging the reader to not cry when they lose someone precious, but look at all of the accomplishments they fulfilled throughout their life. Although their life has ended, their spirit has lived on in the memories of those they touched. Every person you meet leaves a mark on you, and your mark is left on them in return - it's just how life works. We change each other. Part of what makes us who we are is the people around us. If one of them suddenly disappeared, we would feel a hole in our life, like a piece of us was missing. Still, their imprint on our own lives remains with us, and they are never forgotten. I believe this sonnet was trying to convey that truth - that we should be celebrating a life, not simply mourning a loss. 
        I also liked the structure of this sonnet. It had a very distinct rhythm that kept the words moving in a cascading pattern. By having every two phrases rhyme with each other, Frye stitched together a stream of metaphors for one who has passed away. The fist half of the sonnet described in detail just who the person in question is and what they have become in a very metaphoric way. The second half continues on with that description and leads into a quiet transition that takes the reader to the final statement - showing them that the victim is dead and gone, but their spirit is still shining strong. I really loved the flow of the sonnet itself - the imagery mixed with the powerful rhythm gave off a feeling of strength, as well as joy, rather than allowing sorrow to creep into the words. The powerful descriptions within the poem shaped it into a beautiful piece of work with a reflective message to hold it all together. So there you have it - my chosen sonnet - "Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep".

Note: I realize that I wrote this post with the belief that the poem above had 14 lines. As it turns out, it only has 12, and therefore is not a true sonnet, but has other qualities that a true sonnet would have. Namely, as I said before, the poem has two parts - both take up about six lines ("The first half of the sonnet described in detail just who the person in question is and what they have become in a very metaphoric way. The second half continues on with that description and leads into a quiet transition that takes the reader to the final statement"). Also, as  Foster explained how most sonnets are written in iambic pentameter, all of the lines in "Do Not Stand at my Grave and Weep" are fairly close to ten syllables. Not to mention, the rhyming pattern is very noticeable. Foster also explains that not all sonnets will follow the exact same structure - it all depends on the type of sonnet. :)


9 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite poems! Like you said, it has such a mesmerizing rhyme scheme and the rhythm sucks you right it. It's if you know exactly what words are going to come next, even if you've never read the poem before. One thing that I think of differently when I read "Do Not Stand" is in the interpretation of its meaning. I like to think of it more scientific terms, but that's just me. I completely agree with how you view it too, though! I love that there are so many different ways to look at this poem and everyone can define what it means for themselves. One question I wonder though is if it's a true sonnet or not, since it has only 12 lines instead of 14. Nevertheless, great post! - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, I cannot believe I didn't catch that! This entire time I thought it had fourteen lines! Well, I looked it up and this is what I found: " Irregular variations on the sonnet form have included the 12-line sonnet sometimes used by Elizabethan poets, G. M. Hopkin's curtal sonnets of 10-1/2 lines, and the 16-line sonnets of George Meredith's sequence Modern Love (1862). " (About the Sonnet - Chris Baldick). So, I guess that the poem I found is not a true sonnet, but an irregular sonnet modified from the original sonnet structure, yet still containing the rest of its properties. Wow. Thanks for catching that, Isabel! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't said something! Also, I agree that it can be interpreted in many different ways. That's one of the many things I enjoy about poetry - there's never just one right way of looking at the meaning of the words. Thanks for the comment Isabel!!! (:

      Delete
  2. Great post Theresa! This is probably the only sonnet I was familiar with before this summer. It is definitely one of my favorites. I love the rhyme scheme and the entrancing rhythm it creates. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the "cascading pattern", the sonnet definitely has this quality. Even when one disregards the writing itself, the message of the sonnet is very powerful. I would imagine that this sonnet would be very poignant to someone who has lost a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Rohan! I completely agree. The message is indeed powerful and the rhythm flows so smoothly. I have never heard of this poem before, so its words were new to me, but all the same, it is a powerful piece of writing. (:

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite poem! I'm so excited that you chose it! I love the rhyme structure (I'm a highly unoriginal person, so couplets really get me going); I love the word choice (Glints! Uplifting! Starshine!); I love the message. And I love how the author plays with time in such a subtle way. In lines 3-6, she implies the changing of seasons really beautifully: "winds that blow" - that's spring; "snow" - obviously winter; "sun on ripened grain" - summer; and "autumn rain" - autumn (duh). Altogether, it makes me imagine someone visiting a grave with regularity all throughout the year (much like the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2). But my absolute favorite thing about this poem is the repetition of the first lines at the end. I love how it ends with "I am not there; I did not die" because it makes me think of reincarnation and the preservation of souls. The poem is about eternal life without being about the afterlife; it addresses a quintessentially religious problem in a nontraditional way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, Tara! I really do appreciate how this poem implies that life is eternal, even in death. The last line bears that message wonderfully. Also, The Amazing Spider Man 2 is a perfect connection to the mourning of the seasons at a grave (I love that movie but it's SO sad). Thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
    2. To be honest i thought grain ripens in autumn

      Delete
  4. also, is it a sonnet because it doesn't have 10 syllables per line?? I really want to use this for an assignment in my AP lit class too but is it a sonnet despite the 12 line thing and the syllables?
    \

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it still counts as a sonnet, as it still displays the characteristics of one, but I would double check with your teacher just to make sure. :)

      Delete