Monday, September 1, 2014

The Rising Age of Technology (FW)

        To start things off, I just got a new computer. My old computer unfortunately stopped working in the spring very suddenly and I knew it was time for me to get a new one. However, I survived the summer need for internet with an iPad mini (which I used to read one of my summer reading books online as an eBook rather than reading it from the library, as it was more convenient, although reading books online really hurts your eyes...) and the use of my mom's work computer that she has at the house during the summer. Without either of those things, I would have had issues with completing my summer homework as well as staying in the loop of all of the things going on within my email account - rehearsals, festivals, contacting coworkers, etc. Good thing I had some way to connect to the internet before I got my new computer, right?
        Well, this got me thinking - our lives are becoming so dependent on technology nowadays, aren't they? I mean, think about it. For instance, take a look at schools. Every year schools become more and more reliant on online papers and work. It's easier to keep track of and there's a much lower risk of losing an important paper of some sort. At Black River we use email, Google docs, online videos for certain lessons, and so much more. Even at this very moment, I'm using technology to do my homework blogging. And that's not half of it. Some schools actually distribute laptops or iPads to their students for all of their work throughout the year. It really does make things easier - not having to write out essay after essay, easy storage, being able to share work as well as save important documents from getting lost, and much more.
        Even things like the news are more often watched or read from TVs or computers rather than the newspaper itself. Hordes of people do their shopping and banking online, not to mention social websites like Facebook and Twitter. Computers, tablets, phones, TVs - you name it. These things are a huge part of our lives whether we acknowledge it or not.
        This leads me to the question of the future world of technology. If these things are such a huge part of our daily lives already, what will happen once even newer technology is created? This is a growing, changing world and it advances from one minute to the next. In the past, technology was not nearly as big of a concern. People hand wrote letters instead of using email accounts, gathered together in place of Skype, and got to know each other in person rather than online. I'm not saying that this means technology is a bad thing, I'm just saying that it's a big change. It has its pros and cons. While using this much technology is super efficient and helpful, does it take away from our common life experiences? It's up to you to decide. Everyone has different priorities in life, so there's no right or wrong answer.
        Technology. It's quite a big concept, isn't it? A world of unimaginable openness to new ideas and designs. People are always creating, always thinking up new ideas for the electronic world. It allows our society to keep on advancing and adapting to new ways of doing things. Though it can sometimes frustrate us (like when the internet connection to your computer just won't seem to fix itself), technology really does help us accomplish our daily goals. Without it, the world would not be as complex as it has become. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but what I do know is that technology has helped us come a long way - for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment