Sunday, July 7, 2013

Question Two: My Visceral Reaction to the Text

        My visceral reaction to the writing in "A Walk in the Woods" was not what I expected. I normally do not like reading nonfiction books, so I was expecting something similar to the writing in a travel guide. However, just by reading the first paragraph, I could tell that I was going to like this writing style. At first, I was surprised by how much I liked the first few pages. Then, as I continued reading, I realized that this is just the way that Bill Bryson (the author) writes. He uses a lot of different descriptions and expands on all of the different elements. I am impressed by the way he organized all of the different points in the story. It is organized in a way that everything makes sense and was put in the perfect spot. I love this unique writing style and look forward to reading the rest of the book!

2 comments:

  1. Does Bryson write more about the description of the surroundings, or does he write more about the emotions he's having while he's hiking? My author (as I said in my post about this) talks more about the emotions he's going through more than his surroundings. Overall though, this book sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryson writes more about the emotions he's having throughout the book as well. This is a very good writing style, but I have to admit that there were times when I was hoping for a little more description on his surroundings rather than how he was feeling at the time. This is to be expected though since it is a book describing the Appalachian Trail! Still, it was a good book and I'm glad I read it! :)

    ReplyDelete