Thursday, September 19, 2013

President Obama's Speech on Syria (Extra Credit Post)

        Hearing a speech live is completely different from reading one. President Obama delivered his speech in a very persuasive style. I noticed how he used a lot of hand motions, which made him seem more passionate about his speech. When we read the speech in class, it was much easier to pick out all of the writing fallacies hidden within it. While I was watching the actual thing, it was more difficult to critique the wording. Personally, I felt as though the live speech was more effective than the written copy. This is mainly because Obama talked in a persuasive manner and explained every detail in a slow, easy to understand way. Because of this, I believe that people would be more convinced that our government is making good decisions if they watched the speech and didn't read it. Once you read the script, it is extremely hard to not notice any fallacies and persuasive traps. I interpreted the speech in a very different way from when I read it. By hearing and seeing who was speaking, the ideas and explanations were much easier to follow and it was less confusing. This may be caused by the fact that when you are watching a speech, you are using two senses (hearing and sight), while when you are reading, you are only using one sense: sight without hearing. The more senses you are using, the easier it is to understand a concept. Therefore, I conclude my blog post by supporting the belief that Obama's speech was more effective live than in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment