Saturday, October 19, 2013

Arabian Horses are the Best Breed of Horse (Convince Me Post)

       I grew up with a love of horses. Every single year for Christmas, all I asked for was a horse. Of course, my parents said no, but I still dreamed of one day owning my very own horse. I truly enjoy riding horses and taking care of them - it's just one of the things I love. Even though I have never owned a horse before, I still have been able to ride occasionally. You see, one of my aunts owns two arabian horses. She lives in a different city than me, so it's difficult to visit her a lot. Still, I never fail to ride at least two or three times a year. Every time I visit my aunt and ride with her, I am more convinced that arabian horses are the best breed of horse.
        Other than riding with my aunt and her arabians, I have ridden quite a few different types of horses. From summer camps and riding lessons that lasted a few years, I gained experience with quarter horses, draft horses like percherons, and mixes of different breeds, like horses that are part arabian and part quarter horse. The thing that makes arabians unique, in my opinion, is that they are so graceful, while at the same time sturdy. Arabians have a very distinct, fine-boned build. They have dished faces, unlike most horses, and very compact bodies. This is because they are built for speed and strength. Arabian horses are the most durable horse that I know of. For example, when I go camping with my aunt and her horses, one of her friends brings a few horses as well. Her quarter horses each eat one full bale of hay a day, while my aunt's two arabians go through a mere 3/4 of a bale together. They can also go without water for a much longer time than other horses. If I was going to ride through a desert, I would choose an arabian over another breed without hesitation.
        Another reason that arabians are the best is because of their personalities. Let me say one thing: Arabians are frisky. Some people are deterred from them for this reason alone, but people like me love them for it. A frisky horse is a horse with character. Whenever I ride arabians, they want to run. They cannot wait to break free of their bonds and fly through the wind as far as it will take them. I'm exactly the same way. Maybe this is why I have grown so fond of these wonderful horses. I see myself reflected in them and as soon as I hop onto their back, both of us are ready to take off. Other horses tend to be more stubborn about moving. One time I rode a horse that stopped every five feet because she wanted to eat grass (she was a paint). A lot of horses like to run, but not nearly as much as arabians.
        The first time I rode a horse alone was when I was about five years old. I had always wanted to ride alone but my aunt said that I was still too young. Finally, she said that I could try. So, she put me on top of her grey arabian, Candace, and I sat there peacefully for about two seconds before she took off, galloping towards the barn where the other horse was grazing. I had no time to think so my first instinct was to grab onto her mane. Looking back on it, that was the best thing I really could have done. I had no experience using the reins so her mane was the only option. Either way, I held on and never fell off. This may make arabians seem way too frisky for kids to ride, but any horse is hard to ride when you are little. Besides, as I grew older, I learned how to control horses and what to do when they do take off. After a while, you begin to understand horses and how they think. This helps you to make good decisions while riding them. The point is, arabians are amazing horses and once you learn how to control their friskiness, they truly are the best horses out there.
        There are so many reasons I love arabians. They are passionate horses will a pure spirit and a creative mind. It would take days to explain just how amazing these horses really are. There is no question that they are my favorite type of horse. Arabians just aren't like the other horses. There is something about them that makes them more interesting. They have this way of being that is unlike any other breed I've seen or heard of. I guess this ends my long explanation of why arabian horses are the best. One day, people will see what I see in them. All horses are amazing, but I love arabians the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment