Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Mysterious Evolution of Music (Free Write Blog Post)

        Let me just say, I love music. So, of course, for my "Free Write" blog post, I couldn't think of anything else to write about. There are so many different types of music, and all of them have such unique qualities. There's Pop, Country, Broadway, Rap, Rock, Oldies, and so much more. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong generation because I tend to like older music instead of the newest songs that have come out. For instance, I listen to a lot of the songs that one of my sisters listened to when she was my age, and she's twenty five. I also love oldies and musicals from the 1900s. This may be because my absolute favorite type of music is without question Broadway. I just love the emotion that is put into Broadway music and shows! Like in The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof, some musicals just can't be replaced. This leads me to question why people choose to remake such amazing classics.
        Recently, I found out that The Sound of Music is being remade, and I almost cried. It was such an amazing movie to begin with, and who could ever replace Julie Andrews? She was truly amazing in The Sound of Music as Maria Von Trapp, and no other actress will ever be quite the same. In the new movie, they are casting Carrie Underwood as Maria, and I am very questioning as to why. I have nothing against Carrie Underwood, I just can't seem to see her as Maria. Someone who plays Maria needs to have a very powerful musical voice. Julie Andrews pulled this role off nicely. When I think of Carrie Underwood however, I think Country and Pop, not musical. I have never heard Carrie Underwood sing in a musical, so I have no right to judge. Still, I feel like it is an almost impossible feat to remake The Sound of Music. I can see new actors for the Von Trapp family and the other parts, but I just cannot picture The Sound of Music without Julie Andrews. It just won't be the same. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes out of this.
        This got me thinking about how as time goes on, it seems that many of the old musicals and songs from earlier years are slowly being forgotten. This truly makes me sad. There is so much beautiful music from before this generation. I feel like the people who remake musicals such as The Sound of Music do so in order to evolve the ideas from the past into the future. This is a brilliant idea, but it still makes me sad to think about the original forms of music that tend to be forgotten over time. I know that nothing lasts forever, but music is so pure, and so universal. If I could choose anything to be everlasting in this world, it would be music. With music, there are infinite possibilities. When writing a song, there are numerous pathways and outcomes. New ideas are always being created, and the foundation of music will continue to grow as the rest of the world changes. No matter what, music will not disappear. It is a part of everyone's lives, whether they know it or not. Without music, life would be a cold, dark place. It livens up the world in an array of colors, emitting a strong sensation to strive towards a new day, never forgetting the past, but always looking forward into the future.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know they were remaking The Sound of Music, and now that I do, I understand your frustration with the main character being given to Carrie Underwood. I don't think that there will ever be a better Maria than Julie Andrews either. Also, I couldn't agree more with the idea that music is pure and universal, and how the world would be a "cold, dark place" as your said above. There has always, and always will be, a strong connection between music and people, and I think that's a fantastic thing. If people didn't have music, it seems like emotions wouldn't be able to be expressed as they are today. Wonderful post,Theresa! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Rachel! Who would want to live in a world without music? An emotionless land of fear and confusion... I sure wouldn't want to live in a world like that!

    ReplyDelete