Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Stories of Nature (CC Post)

        As soon as we started reading Into The Wild, I was hooked. The idea of someone abandoning everything they have in life to live out in nature alone and without many supplies is very extraordinary to me. As I read, I keep thinking about how hard it would be to just let go of everything you know in life. Imagine leaving your family and friends and not telling them what you are going to do, choosing to live secluded from the rest of the world. It would be nearly impossible to get even that far. So, when I think about what McCandless did, I am impressed at his will to survive out in the wild. I'm not sure I would go so far as saying that it was a good idea, but it is an amazing feat.
        While I read about McCandless's craving for nature, I can't help thinking about A Walk in the Woods, which I read last summer. It was a story about a man (Bill Bryson) who wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail, so he entered The Smoky Mountains National Park and tried to fulfill his goal. However, although he hiked for his love of nature, his story was very different than McCandless's. While McCandless abandoned everything - his family, his education, his life - Bryson was better prepared. He still could not connect with his family on the trail, but at least they knew where he was, what he was doing, and that he loved them. Also, he was careful to carry provisions for the hike on his back, including food, a sleeping bag, and strong hiking equipment. He also was following an actual path, rather than deciding to simply enter the wild with no solid plans.
        Although their stories have their differences, I can't help relating Bryson to McCandless. They both decided to take a break from their everyday lives and spend some hardcore time in nature. Both were gone for months on end, and neither regretted the overall experience. Acting on a love for nature, they followed a path in life that would strengthen their spirits and give them an understanding for the amazing world around us that is often forgotten. Through inner strength and the endurance needed to survive out in nature, both Bryson and McCandless followed their instincts to take an unforgettable hike through the wild of the world outside.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another great post Theresa. :) As I was reading your post, and as I was reading this book, I fell in love. It reminded me of my trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this summer, and the beauty that came with it. I can also relate with feeling like you relate with McCandless, my family just decided to go out to these parks, and we stayed out from dawn till dusk, walking around and hiking to see different sites, and to enjoy the clean mountain air. I almost forgot that I even had to go home until the last day came, I would have stayed out there for a lot longer if I could have. There's nothing like deciding to just pick up your bags and go somewhere just surrounded by nature as opposed to our loud, crazy, social-networking crazed society. Sometimes you just have to get back to basics, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree completely! I love being out in nature. Sometimes its nice to just take a walk in the woods! Thanks for the comment, Rachel! (:

    ReplyDelete